Driveway Widening/Boulevard Alterations
Any changes to your driveway must comply with the zoning by-law. Town standards for size and location. Residents are reminded that approval must be obtained before starting any alteration to the Town's boulevard. Homeowners contemplating work must obtain an encroachment permit. This includes any landscaping work or storage of landscaping materials or bins on the Town boulevard or roadway. Some minor encroachments may be permitted within the road allowance as long as they do not block the delivery of Town services. Homeowners thinking about doing work on Municipal property must complete an encroachment permit.
The Town is not responsible for any damage caused during maintenance operations to items such as watering systems, gardens, fences, posts, interlocking brick work, concrete and wood curbs, etc. that have been placed on Town property.
The Town, at its discretion, may request the removal of these encroachments.
The boulevard is the area between the edge of the pavement or curb of the roadway and the adjacent property line.
- The boulevard is municipal property.
- Residents are responsible to take proper care of the boulevard adjacent to their property.
- The boulevard may contain above ground or underground utilities which may require maintenance from time to time.
- Homeowners should not
- plant trees on the boulevard
- pave the non-driveway portion with raised material
- place structures or retaining walls on the boulevard
- landscape around Town trees and hydrants with rocks, bricks or plants
Residents digging near or installing telephone, cable, gas or electricity within the Municipal right of way must apply for an encroachment permit. Residents installing fences, pools or making changes to driveways or landscaping must obtain an encroachment permit from the Public Works Department.
Your driveway is designed to comply with Town standards for size and location. Please contact the Public Works Department if you are considering fencing, landscaping, or widening your driveway.