Accountability and Transparency
The municipality actively encourages and fosters public participation and openness in its decision-making processes and stands by the following guiding principles:
Accountability - the municipality will be responsible to the public for decisions made, actions or inactions, and policies implemented.
Transparency - the municipality's decision-making process is open and clear to the public.
In November 2007, Council adopted an Accountability and Transparency Policy, which sets out guidelines to ensure the Town's governance, operations and activities are accountable and transparent in nature.
In July 2015, the Accountability and Transparency Policy, Administrative Procedure 59, was updated in response to changes to provincial legislation.
Service excellence and customer satisfaction are priorities for the Town. Our Public Complaint Policy outlines the process we take and service standards for handling public complaints.
- Approval of Operating and Capital Budgets with six-month variance reporting;
- Competitive procurement practices, as described in the Procurement Policy;
- Publication of Community and Annual Reports;
- Ongoing communications efforts with residents and businesses through the Town's website, weekly notices in local newspapers, electronic signs, media releases and eNews;
- Open public meetings to encourage input and foster participation; Accessibility and customer service goals;
- Sale and other disposition of surplus land by-law;
- Performance review programs;
- Customer satisfaction survey; and
- Complaint and feedback processes.
Code of Conduct and Integrity Commissioner
The Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville Council adopted the Council Code of Conduct and appointed Ms. Suzanne Craig as the Interim Integrity Commissioner on February 7, 2017.
Ms. Craig is primarily responsible for ensuring the codes of behaviour and ethics governing elected public officials are objectively communicated and applied. This is a critical role in maintaining public confidence in Whitchurch-Stouffville's government.
- Code of Conduct - Q & A
- Code of Ethical Conduct for Members of Council
- The Formal Complaint Process
- The Informal Complaint Process
Integrity Commissioner's Contact Information
Phone: 905-640-1910 or 1-855-642 (TOWS) 8697 Ext 2300