On occasion, Municipal Councils and local boards must meet in a closed meeting (in camera) without the public present to discuss a limited scope of issues related to:
- The security of property of the municipality or local board;
- Personal matters about an identifiable individual, including employees;
- A proposed or pending acquisition or disposition of land;
- Labour relations or employee negotiations;
- Litigation or potential litigation;
- Advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege;
- A matter authorized by another provincial statute; and
- If the subject matter relates to a request under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
At a closed meeting, Council can only vote on procedural matters and provide direction/instructions. Council must make their final decision on all matters in an open Council meeting.
Council is also permitted to hold meetings for the purposes of education and/or training sessions which are closed to the public.
Closed Meeting Investigation
As of January 1, 2008, anyone or corporation is able to request an investigation to determine whether Council or an advisory committee has complied with the closed meeting rules outlined in the Town's Procedure By-laws.
Amberly Gavel has been retained to serve as Council's Closed Meeting Investigator on an as needed basis. Representatives of the firm will determine compliance with the Act and/or the Town's Procedure By-laws and will report on the results of such investigations to Council.
Inquiries must be submitted on the Closed Meeting Investigation Request Form with an original signature. Submit the completed form in a sealed envelope marked "private and confidential" to:
Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville, 111 Sandiford Dr. Stouffville, Ontario L4A 0Z8
Attention: Town Clerk
All inquiries are kept confidential and will be forwarded to Amberly Gavel.
For more information, you may wish to review the Frequently Asked Questions
The documents on this website are for information purposes only. To verify the accuracy and currency of this information, please contact the Council Coordinator.