Freedom of Information and Privacy>
The Town of Stouffville strives to ensure accountability and transparency while protecting the privacy and personal information of the public. The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), gives us a framework to provide access to public information while protecting personal information.
While most Town records are available by request, some may require you to submit a formal Freedom of Information (FOI) request. When you contact us to request information, we will let you know if you need to submit an FOI.
Routinely available information>
The following information is routinely available by request. Please contact the department that holds the records to request access:
- Zoning – Planning and Building
- Bids, tenders and proposals – Centralized Customer Service Centre
- Building, lot grading and any other information related to your property – Planning and Building
- Business licences and licence requirements – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Committee of Adjustment matters – email@example.com
- Community demographics or business statistics – Economic Development
Make a Freedom of Information (FOI) request>
If the information you are requesting cannot be released by routine request, you have to submit a formal FOI request.
To submit an FOI request under the MFIPPA, please submit an FOI Request Form along with the fee to our FOI coordinator.
If you are requesting on behalf of someone else, please include a signed letter of consent and a photocopy of a piece of their ID with a signature (such as a driver's license) for verification.
We will respond within 30 days of the date of the request. We will contact you if we need additional time.
You must submit a $5 application fee along with each formal FOI request. Please make all cheques payable to the "Town of Stouffville”.
The following fees also apply:
- 20 cents per page for photocopies or printouts
- $10 per disc for records prepared on CD-ROMs
- $7.50 for each 15 minutes of manual search time required (doesn’t apply to personal information requests)
- $7.50 for each 15 minutes of preparing a record for disclosure, including severing a part of the record (doesn’t apply to personal information requests)
$15 for each 15 minutes required to develop a computer program or other method of producing a record from machine readable record
If the records you requested contain third party information, we will advise the third party of your request. The third party has 20 days to let us know whether they agree or disagree with the disclosure of their information.
If you are unsatisfied with the Town's response to a request or fee estimate, you can make an appeal to the Information and Privacy Commission of Ontario (IPC) within 30 days of receiving the decision letter or fee estimate.